The name Contadi Castaldi is a synthesis of the ancient history of Franciacorta, its 19 municipalities and their vocation for outstanding agriculture. In 1500, when the Venetian Republic was at the height of its splendour, Franciacorta produced food and wine destined for the tables of princes, kings and rich merchants. For Franciacorta, the beautiful city of Venice was the market of choice for introducing its wines.
One of the many quarries in the area gave rise to the Biasca brickyard, the old building that houses the Contadi Castaldi winery today. When the Franciacorta region was at the peak of its development in the 1980’s, Vittorio and Mariella Moretti decided to convert the brickyard into a winery. Its large spaces and long tunnels where the bricks were fired proved to be the perfect place for ageing Franciacorta vintages and welcoming wine lovers.
An extraordinary universe of vines gave rise to the territory of Franciacorta. In the variety of its landscapes we discovered a wide range of expression, a richness of nuances, that made the creation of a new winemaking dream a real possibility. These are the origins of Contadi Castaldi, the most highly specialized company in the art of innovation, which searched the Franciacorta region to find the most evocative vineyards and the most passionate winegrowers. After all, no two winegrowers are the same, and each of them practices and excels in different passions.