Col d’Orcia is one of the oldest established wineries of Montalcino. The archaeological excavations show that the slopes of Orcia River were inhabited since the Etruscans, over 2500 years ago. Some olive trees among the Brunello vineyards prove all favourable conditions of Col d'Orcia’s climate and soil for growing grapes and olives.
The estate’s modern-day lineage goes back to at least 1890, when records show the Franceschi family of Florence purchased the property, then known as Fattoria di Sant’Angelo in Colle. As early as 1933 Fattoria di Sant’Angelo in Colle presented its Brunelli at the Wine Exhibition of Siena, one of the first trade shows in Italy, decades before Brunello would become a prized, world-class wine.
Brothers Leopoldo and Stefano Franceschi inherited the property and subsequently divided their holdings in 1958.
Stefano Franceschi named his farm Col d’Orcia (hill above Orcia) after the river that runs through the property. In 1973 Stefano Franceschi sold his property to the Cinzano family of Piedmont. The Cinzano family was active in the spirits business, and used their extensive sales network to distribute the early vintages of Col d’Orcia.
In 1973 there were just a few hectares dedicated to grapes, but planting expanded during the 1980s under the leadership of Count Alberto Marone Cinzano reached 70 hectares. In 1992 Marone Cinzano’s son Francesco took over and continued to increase plantings to the current level of 140 hectares, of which 108 are Brunello-designated vineyards, making Col d’Orcia the third largest owner of Brunello vineyards in Montalcino”.
In 2010 they took the decision of submitting to the organic farming certification process in order to obtain organic certification: vineyards, olive groves, arable land and the gardens of the estate, are farmed following exclusively organic agricultural practices. An outstanding achievement for Col d'Orcia winery that in 2013 became the largest organic farm in Tuscany: an organic oasis in Montalcino.