At the end of the XIX century, when the young Giovanni Bosco began to cultivate vines, the city of Castellamare Adriatica (that became Pescara in 1926) has no more than 15.000 inhabitants and extended on a narrow land. All around was the landscape and the “Lovers Hill” of Pescara were a fertile ground for vines: on those hills grew the first vines that would have characterized the history of Bosco Family. Strong and tenacious as the vine, Giovanni finally obtained a wonderful red wine with an intensive bouquet and a spicy taste, that, once named Montepulciano d’Abruzzo, would have been known all over the world in the following century. It was 1897 and Bosco Winery was born. The story went on with Nestore Bosco and his son Giovanni: the same names and the same passion for vines and wines. Since 1967, following the D.O.C. (Denomination of controlled origin) given to the Montepulciano d’Abruzzo wine, Bosco’s wines became well-know all over the world gaining several awards during the last decades.
Believing in high quality products allows the winery to became bigger: unfortunately the hills of Pescara weren’t able any more to receive new vineyards because the city was expanding itself. Bosco Family could make only a forced choice: moving towards the inland, choosing the most fertile soils, making new vineyards to produce only high quality grapes, building a winery that could improve the capabilities of the native vines of the Abruzzi. It was the beginning of the ‘80s and Giovanni realized on the landscape of Nocciano, a town in the province of Pescara, the spectacular winery that is a jewel among the underground architecture: here the Montepulciano d’Abruzzo, the pride of Bosco Family, rests and matures into big barrels from Slavonia, new barriques and in bottles perfectly aligned along the special tunnels for aging. Nowadays Nestore and Stefania, the children of Giovanni, run the winery with the same name, same passion and the same fervent enthusiasm.