Leone De Castris
Salice Salentino, a small village in Salento, Puglia, rich in vineyards and olive trees, is the landscape giving life to Leone de Castris’ wine tradition. It is exactly here, on the very spot where today’s cellar stands, that in 1665 Duke Oronzo, Earl of Lemos, gave birth to the company. From the beginning of the 19th century the Winery used to export bulk wine to the United States, Germany and France until when whit Piero and Lisetta Leone de Castris, the bottling had its start in 1925. An extremely important year, 1943, marks the birth of Five Roses and the improvement of the bottling line that has seen our rosé being the first ever bottled in Italy and sold first of all in USA.
In the ‘60s, the direction of the Company was handled by Cavaliere del Lavoro, Salvatore Leone de Castris and thanks to him the company had an important development, both locally and internationally speaking.
His know-how, of continuous improvement, is now carried on by his son Piernicola Leone de Castris, managing director since late ‘90s.
New vines have been planted over the years: Chardonnay and Sauvignon going together with the traditional ones: Negroamaro, Malvasia nera, Verdeca, Moscato, Aleatico, Primitivo.
The Winery’s production is very rich: red, white and rosé DOC wines (Salice Salentino, Locorotondo, Copertino, Primitivo di Manduria), interesting IGT Salento and Puglia wines, sparkling rosé and white wines.
The entire selection is quite often awarded with prestigious recognitions and our products are present not only in European markets, but also in USA, Canada, Brasile, Autralia, Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong, etc.
The Winery is enriched by a huge wine Museum dedicated to Piero and Salvatore Leone de Castris, an elegant hotel & restaurant, “Villa Donna Lisa” and a cosy wine bar named‘ Five Roses Club 1943’.
Our average production is 2,5 millions of bottles per year.
We could say that we represent 350 years of history looking towards future.